Sunday, June 02, 2013

how to remove the 4gb limit on my point and shoot camera?

Question by kenny c: how to remove the 4gb limit on my point and shoot camera?
ok my canon elph 110 point and shoot camera always stops at 4gb even though there's 4gb left on the card . I researched and it said it's the limit then I have to hit record again. I can't do this when i'm recording volleyball games since i'm playing. How do I make my camera record continuously without stopping.


Best answer:

Answer by fhotoace
You cannot

The 4 gb per video file is a physical restriction caused by the FAT32 format used by memory cards.

Since you can get from 17 to 20 minutes on a 4 gb file, it is no different than when we used to shoot 16 mm or 35 mm motion pictures

400 feet of 16 mm film only captured 11 minutes at 24 frame/s

400 feet of 35 mm film only captured 3.5 minutes worth of film.

So the 4 gb limit of from 17-20 minutes is actually a blessing to videographers

In order to shoot such long takes, you need to buy a mini-DV video camera and buy 60 minute tapes



Add your own answer in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. sell it and buy a camcorder
    shoot at lower resolution
    get a trusted spectator to keep restarting the camera

    ReplyDelete
  2. The restriction is hardware linked, so you can't hack it out. If that is what you are looking for then I am sorry to tell you this important information. However, what you can do is reduce the video resolution - which will allow you to record longer. The higher video resolution, the more memory it will gobble up. So reduce the video recording resolution.

    This is probably the only thing you can do to increase the recording during your volleyball games without buying a new camera :(

    I would actually recommend a camera that has more than 4gb available on it. I have been using the http://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail.php?prod=newelectronx-g-sensor-camera with night vision on it and it comes in handy for me. You might like it because it supports more than 4gb. Actually it supports 32gb, which is 8x's as much as your current camera. If you need to replace your camera then check around for a decent one without the 4gb limitation.

    One other thing, I would recommend is having someone video record for you. Give them at least three 4gb cards and tell them to switch them out each time the camera stops. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete