Saturday, September 28, 2013

What is the average longevity of a good Digital Compact Camera (if maintained properly) ?

Question by shankd67: What is the average longevity of a good Digital Compact Camera (if maintained properly) ?
How many years can I expect to see a digital point & shoot camera (esp. from a popular brand viz. Canon, Olympus or Nikon) ....working, if I operate & maintain it in a proper manner ?
My maintenance of any thing is quite good. I am from India and its a tropical country.


Best answer:

Answer by Al The Photo
I have been keeping score.

Here is a list of the various ways people have destroyed their cameras and posted on YA:

- Dropped camera.
- let my sister/brother/other borrow/play with my camera.
- Dog chewed up the SD card.
- Sprinkles from applying to fingernail polish, but some flaked off into the camera.
- Hairspray in the camera from bottle leaking in the purse.
- Got camera wet.
- My dog licked the lens.
- Left camera in pants and went through wash.
- dropped camera into dirt.
- lens popped out, so I pushed it back in.
- camera left outside in the rain for a day or two.
- found tiny bugs crawling around inside camera.

If you avoid all of this kind of abuse, It will last long enough to become obsolete.



Give your answer to this question below!

1 comment:

  1. The key to maintaining anything is proper care. I keep my gear clean, properly cased, always use a neck/wrist strap, and try to protect them in inclement weather.

    For example, I have:

    1) a Canon SD870 IS (a P&S) that is 4+ years old, and it looks and works like brand new. I expect another 10 years at least.

    Other older cameras:
    2) a Canon Sureshot WP-1 (waterproof 35mm P&S) that is 16 years old
    3) a D30 (DSLR) that is going on 12 years old, and still sees frequent use (I'm using it to teach my wife photography and use it for boudoir sessions)
    4) Several (7) 35mm film cameras from the 60s & 70s that work great
    5) a Bronica C that is (uhhh...counts on fingers and toes several times) about 46 years old

    By keeping them clean, getting CLA maintenance (Cleaning/Lubrication/timing Adjustment) done on them, and giving them normal use... they all work like they were designed to

    ReplyDelete