Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Someone show me comparisons between SLR and Point and shoot camera pictures?

Question by Bones Lulz: Someone show me comparisons between SLR and Point and shoot camera pictures?
I want pictures compared side by side from a regular point-and-shoot camera and a digital SLR camera.

I want to show my father the quality and how much better the SLR camera is. You know, trying to get him to get me one.

Anyone know any websites?


Best answer:

Answer by raybdog
What you're asking is difficult to show by example because in the hands of a skilled photographer, a point and shoot camera can produce almost as good a result as the more versatile SLR for most subjects.

True digital SLRs are pretty expensive, if we're talking the same type of camera (removable lens, main controls not buried in menus, etc).

As for examples, Flickr shows what kind of camera was used if the person uploaded the data (it's done by default). Perhaps you could find some poorly exposed, fuzzy, images shot with the wrong white balance that were shot with a P&S, and then find some outstanding images shot with an SLR.

But really, if you're serious about photography, and want to have fine control over the instrument you use so that you can develop your skills, a well-designed SLR will go a long way towards making that happen. That would be what I would use to impress him - IOW, tell him your future career depends on it! Well, unless he wants you to be a doctor. ;-)

Good luck!



Give your answer to this question below!

1 comment:

  1. You're in luck. I made this a while ago and it is exactly what you are looking for.

    Here is a mini-tutorial I made myself to compare 10 MP sensors in a digital SLR (DSLR) and a point and shoot (P&S) camera. I have tried to keep everything on equal footing with no unequal cropping of the original images. Both images were taken at the equivalent of 75 mm from about 1,000 feet away. View this FULL SIZE and scroll through the image to compare the resolution at various points of the images. To me, the P&S sensor practically looks like an impressionist painting compared to the DSLR sensor. Please note also that this is the "large size" P&S sensor, as most are using the smaller 1/2.5" (5x4 mm) sensor.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7189769@N04/476181751/

    ReplyDelete