Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What is the best point & shoot camera on the market?

Question by Tucson Kate: What is the best point & shoot camera on the market?
I am looking for a smaller/thin point and shoot camera, with a high mega-pixal. I am an amatuer, looking to get more into photography. Any recommendations for improving my skills, in addition to the camera, would be helpful! Thank you.
I currently have a Canon Powershot 8 MP. It is a good camera, but I don't like how big it is (not easy to take along in my purse!).


Best answer:

Answer by random_guy7531
Lots of megapixels on a point and shoot can actually be a bad thing. Your 8mp camera is actually probably as high as you'd want to go. More pixels crammed onto a tiny p&s sensor will just amplify the cameras noise without really helping image quality. You'll also find that image quality is about the same across any brands point and shoot line up, because the same sensor is used in most of the cameras. For example, Canons $ 450+ G9 uses the same small, noisy sensor as the significantly cheaper powershot a650. Your best bet for getting into photography would actually be an slr. They're getting pretty cheap nowadays, and can even cost less tahn point and shoots nowadays. Because size is a big concern for you, I'd look into some of olympus' offerings, most specifically the evolt e-410/e-420. You'd also probably want to pick up the 25mm pancake lens as well to reduce the size. However, you may also want to wait for Panasonic's G1 to come out. It'll be the first camera based on the micro four thirds system (in essence, the mini version of Olympus' current slr lens system). Basically, you get the sensor size and image quality of an slr with interchangable lenses and point and shoot simplicity. You can read the preview here (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicG1/).

Hope this helps!



What do you think? Answer below!

1 comment:

  1. I agree smaller is better. Canon is a great brand camera i thank its the best. But you also have Sony they are really good too. I have both my canon is the biggest but my sony is small enough for me to hide in my bra. Go to bestbuy or circuit city they have a lot of small cameras to choose from.

    ReplyDelete