Monday, April 22, 2013

What happens when I get a scratch on my point and shoot camera?

Question by swimfreak000: What happens when I get a scratch on my point and shoot camera?
I have had this point and shoot camera (Olympus: Stylus 740) about a half a year. It had been perfect for a while! Vey small and still took great pics. Now when ever I take a pic I see a black dot in the mid right part of the pic. I also see it in the viewer. When I am zoomed out I see a larger unclaer dot and when it's zoomed in I see a smaller focused dot. I think I chipped or scratch my lens. What do I do now? Can it be repaired (Idk if you can replace point and shoot lenses)? If I can't replace the lenses is there another way to repair the lens? In other words how do I fix it?


Best answer:

Answer by teef_au
Most scratches on the outside of a lens cannot be seen in the final image. You describe your problem as a "dot" so I doubt it is a scratch at all. My humble guess that that you have dust inside the camera and that it has landed on the rear of the lens.

Some folks may tell you that a point and shoot camera won't get dust in it - but this is not true. Think about it, when your lens extends outward particularly from a small camera body like that, air must be drawn into the camera to occupy the space behind the now extended lens. This air can contain dust. Given the movement of the lens mechanism, dust can settle on the back of the lens in the "breeze" created by the movement.

Sadly this may be difficult to repair. I do not recommend bumping the camera in any way in an attempt to dislodge the dust as this would likely damage the camera before clearing the dust. This would be a return to manufacturer problem to repair. The cost well may be prohibitive.

Spend the money on a copy of photoshop instead ;-)
Then you can edit your photos.



What do you think? Answer below!

1 comment:

  1. You should probably call the company and ask how much it would cost to replace the lens, otherwise it might be cheaper to buy a new camera...

    ReplyDelete