Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What tripod can i use for my digital point & shoot camera?

Question by Boo: What tripod can i use for my digital point & shoot camera?
I am about to purchase the Panasonic Lumix Dmc-zs3 point & shoot digital camera on amazon, and I want to buy a tripod too. I want it to be inexpensive and can be different sizes but i want to make sure it won't drop my camera or anything, will the mini flexible tripod work? I am just concerned that my camera won't stay on it


Best answer:

Answer by Jim A
Virtually any standard tripod will work because the thread size is standard throughout the industry for light weight cameras. I use those from Wal Mart at about $ 30 each.

I've been doing professional photography as a career for around 30-years. One tip and caution I would give. Never, ever walk away from a camera on a tripod. Lay it down, lay it across a table, take the camera down but never walk away. Sure as daylight someone will trip on it and bang.

Another caution I always use, I use the neck strap even when I'm standing at the camera when it's on a tripod. When I was a pro I watched to $ 35,000 cameras go to the floor - total loss. Don't let it happen to you.

One more caution, we read so many stories about people dropping their cameras. Always... always use a neck or wrist strap.

Good Luck, Jim



Add your own answer in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Most tripods can fit point and shoots on, and if not then you can usually buy a different head for it.

    Personally, I would never trust my camera to one of the flexible ones. Three great tripod brands are Gitzo, Velbon and Manfrotto but they're quite expensive. Although, if you think you might really get into photography then you could get one of the more professional tripods so you wouldn't have to get a new one later on.

    But if you just want a decent one for a good price then the Dolica AX620B100 would be a great choice.

    ReplyDelete